Dell’s Surprise Pricing

HOT TOPIC- Dell Mini 9 for $199!!! Is Dell commoditizing its product? How will this promotion affect the company’s image? Will consumers begin to doubt the quality of the machine because of dirt-cheap pricing?

This is Dell’s first attempt at a mini computer. Light, small, on-the-go access to the web. . .AND it’s available in a variety of appealing colors for that added personal touch. Techies have termed thses ultra-portable budge notebooks “netbooks.”

I must admit that I was immediately grabbed by the posting of the reduced price on my favorite forum, but that just as quickly I questioned the quality and performance of the computer. Expert review articles and technology forums backs Dell 100% on this one. The Mini is rated favorably compared to other netbooks on the market in all categories. After reassuring my confidence in a Dell product, I had to put my shopping impulse in check. Is it even practical?

At 8.9 inches, is the LCD viewing area large enough to be reasonably functional in normal tasks? Besides that, I already have a laptop that is reliable and on the smaller side. My third reason not to buy a Mini is my Blackberry. I can surf the internet, check email, chat on AIM, and do almost anything that involves web access. Aren’t these ultra-portable computers just a step closer to an all-in-one device to fulfill all of our technology addictions?

No comments:

Post a Comment