Predictive Modeling. Predicting My Future.

All I could think about when reading the Managed Care Magazine article was my future. If all goes as American Healthways predicts and 30 conditions that account for half of the country’s medical expenses can be eliminated or prevented, the result will be a decreased need for treatment. Where does this leave me as a pharmacist? I do believe that health care is shifting towards more preventative care, however predictive modeling adds even more to the mix. Pharmacists will not dwindle away with those impact conditions but the pharmaceutical market will take a turn towards a new trend that pharmacists must be prepared to embrace. Our expertise will be needed in new ways. Ways that take a new approach to drug utilization. As pharmacists, I think we are ready. But the public may not take our changing role with such ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment