Advantage Card



We all have keychain cards from the stores we frequent. I have so many that they have their own designated ring separate from keys (but still part of my set). I must say that I am not biased and I do sign up for the reward card program in every store in which I shop if it is offered. You may, or may not, learn a little bit about me when I tell list my keychain reward cards.
• Giant Eagle Advantage Card
• CVS Extra Care
• American Eagle All Access Pass
• GNC Gold Card
• Office Depot Worklife Rewards
• Petco P.A.L.S.
• PetsMart PetPerks
• Got Used Bookstore Membership Card

Of them, I’m not sure that I could tell you the benefits of each of them. Giant Eagle’s is probably the one we are most familiar with. Everyone wants the Fuel Perks. But hey, why not if you are going to shop there any way? But how about the people who have a different preferred grocery store? Will they switch, and if so, how many have done so in order to save on gas? The ultimate marketing question is does the Advantage Card really help Giant Eagle acquire and maintain customers? I think that the grocer was the first to offer a free rewards/membership card. So, back when the price of fuel wasn’t so steep, I don’t know if it would have played such a role in consumers’ grocer choice. But now, customers are looking for discounts so the Advantage Card may be more appealing.

I know that GE does a lot of market research and analysis and have found the Advantage Card beneficial to their business. But as consumers, we must not over look the bottom line. Are we really saving money by shopping at Giant Eagle just to save money on gas? There are various factors that impact where customers shop including prices/promotions/sales, location, store aesthetics, service, products, etc. For example, one may go to Wal-Mart because their prices are lower and someone else might never step foot in the place because they are turned off by the size and layout. In this area, location should not be a compelling issue for choosing Giant Eagle there are many alternatives in Pittsburgh including Wal-Mart, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Aldi. The product and price are probably more important.

If the Advantage Card is the reason people shop at GE, I don’t think it determines whether customers are smart shoppers. The ones that have calculated a cost benefit from the 10 cents worth of Fuel Perks for every $50 spent will continue to shop there. Those of us (myself included) who have abstained from figuring this out might shop at Giant Eagle either for other reasons or because they just don’t give a damn. So good for you, Giant Eagle, I guess you’ve outsmarted us with the little card on a keyring.

No comments:

Post a Comment